MEDIAN – The Bertelsmann Data Science Program
12 months. 3 rotations. Big Data possibilities.
About the Program
Join MEDIAN, the Bertelsmann Data Science Program, and contribute your curiosity, knowledge and problem-solving skills to our data-driven philosophy.
Tackle the challenges digitization and Big Data present to our diverse businesses and help us develop innovative solutions. Push the possibilities of Machine Learning to the limits and shape the future of the media, services and education industries with us.
The recruiting of the third cohort of MEDIAN, the Data Science Program, will start in 2021. Trainees will build on their expertise by working side-by-side with top data scientists in the different Bertelsmann divisions. Over the course of 12 months, trainees will take a deep dive into at least three major data projects. The data science trainees will wrestle with diverse data sets, crack the most complex data challenges and sharpen their proficiency in different tools and programming languages – all in an international setting.
What You Can Expect
- 3 rotations, over a span of 12 months
- Deep exposure to data sets in diverse Bertelsmann companies (for example: programmatic advertising, AI for chatbots, fraud detection and risk management in financial transactions, smart energy solutions for the utilities market etc.)
- Opportunity to work internationally (for example: USA, Germany, France, UK)
- Competitive salary and benefits
What You Will Be Doing
- Designing new data products and developing big data capabilities in order to address business model challenges and offer solutions
- Collaborating with international teams to drive usage and adoption of new data products and capabilities
- Using and further enhancing machine learning methods and tools
- Understanding and leveraging new data sources and integrate traditional structured data with raw data from websites, social media and third parties
- Modeling and framing business scenarios that are meaningful and impact critical business decisions
- Supporting change within the organization
What You Should Bring
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Physics or related topics
- Advanced knowledge of standard methods across the entire data science pipeline
- Proven experience working with data science (via internships, research projects etc.)
- Problem-solving mindset with strong relationship building, collaborative and communication skills
- Geographic flexibility; travel and relocation will be required
- Strong knowledge of machine learning methods
- Solid programming skills in Python and R; additional programming languages such as SAS, Scala, Spark, C/C++ and/or Java
- Knowledge of databases, database concepts, database design and related languages / tools such as SQL, NoSQL, Hive, etc.
- Foreign languages
- Experience with mining massive data sets (ex. with Hadoop) and Visual storytelling expertise are a plus
What’s in it for You?
The Bertelsmann Data Science Program is the perfect opportunity to:
- Constantly train yourself and hone your data skills within a business context
- Work on projects in diverse industries and locations
- Gain international working experience
- Learn from renowned data scientists and make valuable contributions to cutting-edge products and services
Do you have further questions regarding data jobs at Bertelsmann? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with Niki Kalkanova (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that we do not consider applications submitted by mail, fax, or e-mail.
Bertelsmann is a media, services and education company that operates in about 50 countries around the world. It includes the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House, the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr, the music company BMG, the service provider Arvato, the Bertelsmann Printing Group, the Bertelsmann Education Group and Bertelsmann Investments, an international network of funds. The company has 126,000 employees and generated revenues of €18.0 billion in the 2019 financial year. Bertelsmann stands for creativity and entrepreneurship. This combination promotes first-class media content and innovative service solutions that inspire customers around the world. Bertelsmann aspires to achieve climate neutrality by 2030.